11th Iberian Conference on African Studies
2022-07-06 to 2022-07-08
School of Arts and Humanities, University of Lisbon
After a postponement due to covid-19 restrictions, the 11th Iberian Conference on African Studies (11º Congresso Ibérico de Estudos Africanos - CIEA11) will take place in person at the School of Arts and Humanities of the University of Lisbon between July 6 and 8, 2022.
Following the evolution of the pandemic of COVID-19 and as considering the guidelines from the Dean of the University of Lisbon and the Director of the School of Arts and Humanities (FLUL) for the new academic year, the Organizing Committee decided to reschedule the CIEA11 for 6-8 July 2022. The Organizing Committee considers that the on-site model is the one which serves the purposes of a scientific meeting of the nature and size which we anticipate for the CIEA11. With this decision we hope to guarantee the needed horizon of stability to make sure that the CIEA11 takes place in total safety conditions and in an environment compatible with intense and engaged scientific debate. All registrations accepted are still valid. In due course, more information on the organization calendar and the resulting procedures will be released..
It will be held by the Center for History of the University of Lisbon (CH-ULisboa).
The first CIEA edition took place in 1991 and throughout its ten editions it has become one of the most important scientific meetings on African Studies in Europe. Taking place regularly in Spain (10th edition was in Granada, 2018) and in Portugal, each edition brings together hundreds of participants. The last one was held by AFRICAInEs: Investigación y Estudios Aplicados al Desarollo, Universidade de Granada, and took place in January 2018.
The 11th CIEA is entitled African Transits in the Global World: History and Memories, Heritage and Innovation.
Proceedings of the Eleventh Iberian Conference on African Studies – CIEA11
• CIEA11 Program includes plenary sessions – 3 keynote speakers and 3 round tables – and parallel sessions of panels proposed by participants within the Conference theme: African Transits in the Global World: History and Memories, Heritage and Innovation.
• There will be an additional plenary session to discuss the foundation of an African Studies Iberian Association.
• A parallel Cultural Programme will be announced later.
Professors, researchers, students and other interested professionals on the conference subjects, are invited to participate in CIEA11, proposing a panel or submitting a paper within a panel.
- Deadline: March 7, 2022;
- Languages: Portuguese, Spanish, English, and French;
- Submission and list of panels open for submissions: https://ciea11.pt/index.php/submissao/comunicacoes
- For more information, please visit the congress website: https://ciea11.pt/