Team > Ibrahim Bachir Abdoulaye
Ibrahim Bachir is a Doctoral Researcher at the Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies (BIGSAS) under supervision of Prof. Dr. Paula Schrode. He is also Research Associate in the project “Religious engineering: The making of moralities, development and religion in Niger” within the Africa Multiple Cluster of Excellence, University of Bayreuth. Ibrahim Bachir joined the team in January 2020 after holding a Master’s degree in International Relations from Ankara University, Turkey. He completed a double B.A. in International Relations and Theology at Bursa Uludag University, Turkey.
Ibrahim Bachir worked as a Research Assistant in the Foundation for Political, Economic and Social Research (SETA), a Turkish think tank at the Department of Foreign Policy. He also served as correspondent at Anadolu Agency (AA) in the foreign news department in Ankara, Turkey.
Among his research interests are Turkey’s Africa policy, Islamism, International Politics, Muslim charity organizations and Study of Religion.
- Ibrahim Bachir, Abdoulaye 2019, ‘Cezayir’de Statükocular ve İktidar Mücadelesi’ Kriter Dergisi, Vol. 4, no. 35, pp. 80-81
- Ibrahim Bachir, Abdoulaye 2019, ‘Fransa-Mısır İlişkileri ve Fransa'nın Mısır Politikası’ in Telci, İsmail Numan (ed.), Devrim Sonrası Mısır Dış Politikası, SETA Yayınları, Ankara, pp. 264-291.
- Ibrahim Bachir, Abdoulaye 2019, ‘Türkiye-Afrika İlişkileri’ in Nebi Miş & Muhittin Ataman et al. (eds.), 2019’de Türkiye, SETA Yayınları, pp. 85-90.
- Ibrahim Bachir, Abdoulaye, Emrah Kekilli & Khayri Omer (2018) ‘Anatomy of a Terrorist Organization: Boko Haram’, SETA
- Ibrahim Bachir, Abdoulaye & Zainul Abideen Jibril, ‘’Turkey’s Multidimensional Strategy Towards Africa’’, Oct. 2021 No: 68, SETA (https://www.setav.org/en/perspective-turkeys-multidimensional-strategy-towards-africa/)
Selected Media Appearances
- As Erdogan set for another tour, Turkey deepens ties with Africa
- Turkey and its drones in Africa - a switch to hard power?
- How Turkey's approach to Africa differs from the West and China
Title: The Role of Charitable Activities of Turkish Organisations in Niger
The main objective of this project is to understand the role of the activities of Turkish charitable organizations, which are shaping the new image of contemporary Turkey, in the processes of ongoing social transformation in Niger. Thus, based on concepts of ‘religious engineering’ and ‘morality/ethics’, this project aims to explore and analyze humanitarian aid and development projects carried out by Turkish charities in Niger from a relational perspective through an interdisciplinary study.
This project intends to achieve these goals by investigating the following main research questions: How are Turkish charities related to "religion" in the conduct of their charitable activities? What kind of interaction exists between these charities and other actors such as donors, target groups and state? How and what moralities are generated from these multiple processes of relating? In this study, ethnographic research will be used as the dominant methodology to answer the research questions.
Ibrahim Bachir Abdoulaye
Universität Bayreuth, Nürnberger Straße 38, Zapf-2,
95448 Bayreuth, Germany
Phone: +49 921 55-4789